Year-End Planning Provides Tax Savings Opportunities: IRA Conversion

Convert your traditional IRA into a Roth IRA if doing so is expected to produce better long-term tax results for you and your beneficiaries. Distributions from a Roth IRA can be tax-free but the conversion will increase your adjusted gross income for 2010. However, you will have the choice of when to pay the tax on the conversion. You can either (1) pay the tax on the conversion when you file your 2010 return in 2011, or (2) pay half the tax on the conversion when you file your 2011 return in 2012, and the other half when you file your 2012 return in 2013.  Your CPA can help you determine which option is right for you.

© 2010 Thomson Reuters/RIA. All rights reserved

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call Now Button